A collection of articles and tutorials for and by Whatbox users. Any user with an active slot is free to create and edit articles as they wish.
New to Whatbox
- Beginners Guide - Learn about the basics
- Server Locations - Check out our different server locations
- Switching from other providers - We'll do it for you!
- FAQ - Read a collection of frequently asked questions
- Support - Make a ticket to our support staff
- IRC - Talk to other users and staff in our chatroom
- Skynet - How to use our IRC bot
- Manage - The central hub to all your slot details
- User Settings - Email, Password and Location settings
- Locked Slots - Check here to learn about a locked slot
- Transfer data between servers when changing plans
- BitTorrent Clients - An overview of the available clients
- rTorrent - The default client on our slots, text-based, but is extended with GUI's
- ruTorrent - A web front-end for our default client rTorrent.
- Deluge - A full-featured client with frontends for Linux, Mac and Windows
- Deluge Console - Documentation on the command line utility for Deluge
- Transmission - A solid client with native Mac, Qt, Web and terminal interfaces
- Transmission Console - Documentation on the command line utility for Transmission
- Transdroid - An open-source application for managing torrents from Android devices
- TorrentToise - An application for managing torrents from an Android device (tablet/phone UI)
- Creating Torrents with ruTorrent and mktorrent
- Browser Plug-ins for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox
- Helm - Whatbox's web-based file manager
- File downloading and uploading - HTTP, FTP/SFTP, rsync
- FTP Clients - An overview of FTP clients for downloading from your seedbox
- Multi-threaded and Segmented FTP - Speed up downloads by splitting one file into many
- Streaming audio and video with VLC, MPC-HC, MPlayer, and more
- Mounting as a volume - Manage your files like any other drive on your computer
- sshfs - Securely mount remote file systems on the command line
SSH - Secure Shell
- SSH - Connect to your slot via SSH
- Bash Shell Commands - Basic bash commands, for the default shell in SSH
- screen - A powerful terminal multiplexer that lets you run commands even when not connected
- SSH Tunneling - Tunnel your Internet connection through SSH
Installed Programs and Scripts
- cron - A time-based job scheduler
- irssi - A text-based IRC client
- Archives - Handling zip, rar, tar, and 7z archives
- xseed - A script for modifying torrents for cross-seeding
- rsync - A powerful file synchronization tool
- lftp - A free and open source command line FTP client
- flac2mp3 - Transcode FLAC media files to MP3
- OpenVPN - Connect to our VPN for secure browsing through your slot
- Python - A general-purpose programming language that emphasizes readability.
- RSS - Use RSS feeds to automatically download torrents
- ZNC - An IRC bouncer
- List of Installed Software - With an active slot on your Manage page, this page shows the version numbers of popular software already installed on your server.
Sharing Your Slot with Others
- Dropbox - Use Dropbox with your slot
- OneDrive - A Microsoft OneDrive desktop client / daemon
- Resilio Sync - Resilio's secure, distributed sync app based on BitTorrent, Inc technology
- Nextcloud - A cloud server similar to Dropbox or Google Drive
- ownCloud - A cloud server similar to Dropbox or Google Drive
- Syncthing - An open-source peer-to-peer file synchronization application
- nginx - Set up your own nginx web server to host websites
- ProFTPD - Set up your own FTP server with custom usernames and passwords
Other Programs and Scripts
- Installing Software - The general rules and steps for adding software to your slot
- Autodl-irssi - A torrent auto downloader using irssi
- plowshare - An uploader/downloader for Hoster or Direct Download sites
- pyLoad - A download manager for 'Hoster' websites, video sites, and HTTP/FTP links
- Megatools - A collection of programs for accessing the specific Direct Download site Mega
- FlexGet - A multipurpose automation tool for RSS torrent downloading
- SABnzbd - A Usenet newsreader and downloader
- NZBGet - A lightweight Usenet newsreader and downloader written in C++
- SickBeard - Open source video manager for newsgroups with limited torrent support
- SickChill - Fork of SickRage, focused on BitTorrent support
- Medusa - Another fork of SickRage
- CouchPotato - Open source video manager for newsgroups and BitTorrent with client support
- Headphones - An automated music downloader for SABnzbd and BitTorrent
- Sonarr - Open source PVR for Usenet and BitTorrent users
- Radarr - A fork of Sonarr to work with movies à la Couchpotato
- Lidarr - A fork of Sonarr to work with music. Early in development and bugs expected.
- Bazarr - Optional companion program to Sonarr and Radarr for subtitle management.
- Jackett - Works as a proxy between applications like Sonarr/Radarr and BitTorrent trackers
- gmusicapi - An unofficial Python API for Google Music
- Murmur - The Mumble server
- CherryMusic - A Python music streaming server
- Midnight Commander (mc) - A feature rich text mode filemanager and a clone of Norton Commander
- NCurses Disk Usage (ncdu) - A curses-based version of the well-known 'du', and provides a fast way to see what directories are using your disk space.
- Flood - Alternative rTorrent web interface using Node.js.
- gsutil - gsutil is a tool written in Python that lets you access the Google Storage cloud from the command line.
- Using XMLRPC with Python - Interacting with the XMLRPC interface on your rTorrent server through Python scripts.
- Redis - Redis is an open source, networked, in memory key-value cache and store
- Amazon Cloud Drive - Upload/Download from Amazon Cloud Drive to your slot
- rclone - rsync for cloud storage
- Go - Go or Golang is an open source programming language created at Google
- Emby - A personal media server with apps on just about every device
- Jellyfin - An open source personal media server forked from Emby
- beets - Music library manager and MusicBrainz tagger
- md5deep and hashdeep - md5deep is a set of programs to recursively compute and compare MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, Tiger, Whirlpool message digests
- youtube-dl - A command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and other video sites
- Plex - Plex organizes all of your video, music, and photo collections, and gives you instant access to them on all of your devices
- Ombi - A web application that gives your shared Plex users the ability to request content
- Tautulli - A web application for monitoring, analytics and notifications for Plex Media Server.
- Plex WebTools - A plugin for Plex Media Server that allows installation of extra modules including subtitle management
- Plexdrive - Plexdrive mounts your Google Drive FUSE filesystem (optimized for media playback)
- xTeVe - An M3U proxy server for Plex DVR and Emby Live TV.
Users with active slots are able to contribute to the wiki by clicking the New or Edit links in the top right of any article. If you do not have an active slot but would like write access to the wiki, please open a support ticket.